Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Answer Sheet - More questions for KIPP

The Answer Sheet - More questions for KIPP

More questions for KIPP

Here's the next chapter in a debate about the Knowledge Is Power Program, or KIPP charter schools. Last month I posted a discussion that I had with my great colleague Jay Mathews that involved KIPP and Teach for America. Richard D. Kahlenberg, a senior fellow at The Century Foundation and author of "All Together Now: Creating Middle-Class Schools through Public School Choice," wrote a post that I published last week about KIPP attrition rates referred to in the Valerie-Jay debate. Then this morning I published a response to Kahlenberg from KIPP's Jonathan Cowan and Steve Mancini. Over again to Kahlenberg. By Richard D. Kahlenberg On Jan. 4, I outlined some concerns about attrition rates and intake at KIPP schools, and today, KIPP officials Jonathan Cowan and Steve Mancini responded. What follows is my response to their response. KIPP schools are on the whole impressive, but they are often held up