Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Remedy Worse Than the Problem « InterACT

The Remedy Worse Than the Problem « InterACT

The Remedy Worse Than the Problem

In a recent discussion at the Teacher Leaders Network Forum, I asked about the effects of federal policies as they play out in the public schools where most of us teach. However, one private school teacher, Bill Ivey, jumped into the conversation with this contribution:

Federal policy has affected my school by increasing the proportion of families who apply here specifically because they are worried the child’s public school is killing her creativity. Last year, when I outlined how students would be going about designing their own units, the first question they asked was, “But what about the MCAS [Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System]?” When I explained they didn’t have to take it, they burst into applause.

Let me add in no uncertain terms that, while I love my students and deeply appreciate being able to teach the