Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Is Tenure Finally Up for Debate? | Taking Note

Is Tenure Finally Up for Debate? | Taking Note

Is Tenure Finally Up for Debate?

“If I could change one thing, I would get rid of tenure.” – Larry Rosenstock, founder of High Tech High and winner of the 2010 McGraw Prize in Education, at a public forum, September 2010

“So would I.” – Stephen McMahon, President of San Jose (CA) Teachers Union, in response.

“I could care less about tenure.” – Dal Lawrence, former president of the Toledo Federation of Teachers, in an interview, November 2010

“I have started using the words ‘due process’ myself. I think ‘tenure’ is a loaded word.” – Randi Weingarten, President of the American Federation of Teachers, in an email, November 2010

What on earth is going on here? Is the question of tenure actually up for debate and