Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why We All Can be Superheroes for Education � InterACT

Why We All Can be Superheroes for Education � InterACT

Why We All Can be Superheroes for Education

This guest post comes to us from ACT member Valerie Ziegler. Valerie is a California Teacher of the Year for 2010, and she teaches in San Francisco.

About a month ago I took 14 of my Lincoln High School Teacher Academy seniors to see a premier of the new documentary Waiting for Superman. All of these students plan to pursue a career in education, and I was interested to see their reactions to a movie about the failure of our education system. I feared that the movie might dissuade them from wanting to become teachers, but the next morning at school all they wanted to talk about was the film. I gave them a chance to share their reactions and have a discussion in our class. “I cried!” said one student, “How sad to be in 1st grade and want to go to a school and not be able to.” Another student