Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Top Posts of the Week � Student Activism

Top Posts of the Week � Student Activism

Top Posts of the Week

It was a light week’s posting this week, as I spent a bunch of time preparing for my three speaking engagements (each of which, by the way, was a huge amount of fun). So it’s not so surprising that a lot of the top slots were taken up by older posts.

Google is becoming ever more important in how people find this site. In part, I think, that’s a reflection of the higher profile that student issues have in the culture at large — more and more people who aren’t engaged with the student movement (or this site’s social media appendages) are interested in campus issues, and using Google to inform themselves.

Yet more evidence that the zeitgeist is shifting, I think.

1. Reports: Rutgers Student Kille Himself After Roommate Taped Him in Gay Encounter

My first post on the Tyler Clementi tragedy.

2. The University of California Abandons an Ideal

With undergraduate “fees” topping $10K a year, the UC system is preparing to acknowledge that it charges tuition. As I said on Twitter, this reminds me more than a little of Pope John Paul II acknowledging that Galileo was right about the earth orbiting the sun.

3. Yale Frat Apologizes for Rape Chants

The campus’s DKE chapter sent its pledges out to shout “No Means