Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 15, 2010

Thirty People Will Die Today, But That Will Not Stop Us From Living – Lily's Blackboard

Thirty People Will Die Today, But That Will Not Stop Us From Living – Lily's Blackboard
Lily's Blackboard Rotating Header Image

Thirty People Will Die Today, But That Will Not Stop Us From Living

I visited my new friends, the Garcia family, who live in the center of Ciudad Juárez. There are five beautiful children: Flori, Julia, Isabel, Pablito and Raquel. Their talented mother, Flor, has taught them to sing in harmony.

One daughter has dreams of representing Mexico as a diver in the Olympics. Another already sings like a professional. They taught me a card game called Cucharitas, which I got bruised playing. Cucharitas is a contact sport which includes grabbing for spoons in the middle of the table when you get the right combination of cards.
None of the gorgeous Garcias speak English, and so I had to make my limited Spanish work as they tried to teach me the card game. I’m afraid I didn’t make a very good impression on them, but they were kind and patiently repeated themselves because they felt sorry for me being so slow.

Alberto García is proud of his children. We had a