Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Our Education Needs Are California's Needs | California Progress Report

Our Education Needs Are California's Needs | California Progress Report

Our Education Needs Are California's Needs

By Jolene Rodriguez
Californians for Justice
“What do you want to be when you grow up?” It’s not a very original question, but I hear it often, from parents, teachers and administrators.
But here I go again: My name is Jolene Rodriguez. I am 16 years old and I attend Cabrillo High in Long Beach, Calif. And when I grow up, I want to be a social worker and work with kids.
But to be honest, I’m not sure I’m going to get there. Not because I’m not smart enough or don’t work hard enough, but because I’m part of a segregated school system that does not adequately prepare me for college and a career after I graduate.
read more

How to Win the Arizona Boycott