Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Education - latimes.com

Education - latimes.com

UC a tougher bet this year for Californians, with 10,700 wait-listed


The university system is cutting freshman enrollment and boosting out-of-state admissions in the wake of budget cuts. That leaves fewer spots for residents, many of whom are left to wait and hope.

Teachers agree to shorten LAUSD school year


Union members OK the deal that could save the district up to $140 million, save about 2,100 jobs and maintain class sizes. It will become effective if approved by the school board Tuesday.



E
Headlines from L.A. Now







Education - The Denver Post

Education - The Denver Post

Daniels Scholarships delight student winners04/15/2010Denver philanthropist Bill Daniels thought his scholarship program would send maybe 1,000 kids to college.
Long-shot Senate candidate Buck hits bull's-eye in Colo.04/15/2010 - Ken Buck, once thought to be a dead-in-the-water Republican U.S. Senate candidate with laughable fundraising totals and little establishment GOP support, has surged to life in a matter of days thanks to a handful of prominent endorsements pulling in big cash and — more important — national distinction.
Colorado high schoolers going forth with a state-paid fifth year 2204/14/2010 - Almost 300 Colorado high school seniors are eligible for a state-paid year of college this fall — a policy garnering attention from the nation's capital as a model to push poor kids to higher education.
Norton plans petition path to get on GOP primary ballot04/13/2010 - GOP Senate front-runner Jane Norton said Tuesday that she will petition her way onto the ballot rather than go through the traditional vote-getting at the state assembly — a move she said was driven by her incumbent Democratic rival doing the same thing.
School in running for Obama commencement speech works on video showing its success04/13/2010 - Seventeen-year-old senior Dan Marks has the keen eye of a political strategist in weighing the odds of getting President Barack Obama to speak at his school's graduation ceremony.

Santa Ana schools will undergo drastic reform for federal funds | California Watch

Santa Ana schools will undergo drastic reform for federal funds | California Watch

Santa Ana schools will undergo drastic reform for federal funds

Photo by Tiffany Szerpicki
Since March, Santa Ana Unified School District, the third largest district in California, has been faced with this dilemma: Do we apply for the federal School Improvement Grants and undergo drastic reform, or do we forgo the program and pass up much-needed federal dollars?
Last week, based upon the fine reporting by the Contra Costa Times, we wrote about a loophole that would allow districts like Santa Ana Unified to further avoid the reform measures, if they so desired.
Wednesday, Santa Ana announced they would take the money and the reform.
According to the Orange County Register, six schools – Century High, Santa Ana High, Saddleback High, Valley High, Willard Intermediate and Sierra Intermediate – will apply for SIG money and begin restructuring

University of California admits more nonresident students

Photo by Patrickniel
Preliminary admissions data from the University of California shows some campuses in the state's premier public university system are admitting more nonresident students – a move that will bring more money to the campuses while also shifting the composition of the student body.
Overall, nonresidents account for 14 percent of admitted students this year, compared to 12 percent last year.
Nowhere is the increase sharper than at UC Berkeley, where nonresidents make up 27 percent of admitted students this year, up from 14 percent in 2009.
Susan Wilbur, director of undergraduate admissions for the UC system, said that even though the proportion and number of international and out-of-state students are increasing, these nonresident students are not taking up spaces that could otherwise go to California residents.
She said that the university currently enrolls 15,000 more California resident students than are funded by the

Almanac : Bill would restrict kindergarten enrollment

Almanac : Bill would restrict kindergarten enrollment

Bill would restrict kindergarten enrollment

Share
A bill introduced in the state Legislature today by state Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, would restrict kindergarten enrollment to children who are 5 before Sept. 1, three months earlier than the current Dec. 2 cut-off date.

Research shows that 4-1/2-year-olds in class with 5-year-olds are at a disadvantage that can stay with them, Mr. Simitian said in a statement.

About a quarter of California children start kindergarten before they're 5, and most states have earlier cut-off dates, Mr. Simitian said.

The change has the "outspoken" support of educators in San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties, Mr. Simitian said.

Also supporting the bill: the Legislative Analyst's Office, the California Performance Review, and the Governor's Committee on Education Excellence, he said.

"Almost every child who comes to me for reading support has a fall birthday," said Palo Alto reading specialist Natalie Bivas, who was quoted in the statement. "They don't catch up somehow down the line. Instead, they end up on everyone's radar. By third grade, teachers start asking me why we didn't hold these children back. By then, we're discussing a special education intervention."

SB 1381, which would be phased in over three years starting in 2012, would save the state about $700 million annually and $9.1

UC puts 10,000 applicants on waiting list - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

UC puts 10,000 applicants on waiting list - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

UC puts 10,000 applicants on waiting list

Last Modified: Thursday, Apr. 15, 2010 - 12:24 am
For the state's high school seniors, this was the toughest year ever to get into the University of California, with seven of the nine undergraduate campuses reporting the lowest admission rates on record and – for the first time – more than 10,000 applicants being offered a spot on a waiting list.
A-plus students are now the average – not the exception – at most UCs, data released Wednesday show. At all but three UC campuses, the mean grade-point-average of admitted students is above 4.0.
Students must work harder and score higher to get into UC because more high schoolers are seeking a college education at the same time the state has cut funding to public universities. UC cut freshman enrollment for this fall for the second year in a row – by 3,800 students compared with two years ago.


Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/15/2679904/uc-puts-10000-applicants-on-waiting.html#ixzz0lAcGSmUn

How to Get In: University of California—Davis School of Law - US News and World Report

How to Get In: University of California—Davis School of Law - US News and World Report

How to Get In: University of California—Davis School of Law

Posted April 15, 2010

We posed questions to admissions officials at the University of California—Davis School of Law regarding the application process, what they look for in applicants and what sets their school apart. These are their responses:

1. What can applicants do to set themselves apart from their peers?

Because we are striving to put together a talented, diverse, and well-rounded student body to join the law school community, ours is a holistic evaluation. We look for strong academic credentials, such as high grades and Law School Admission Test (LSAT) scores. But we also seek applicants who can demonstrate that they are dedicated, ethical, intellectually curious, and ready to learn. We like students who are leaders, who are involved in professional or extracurricular activities. We try to base our admissions decision on the whole package.

The best law students are those who took every opportunity to obtain a very well-rounded education before law school. Sometimes that means taking classes outside of your major in order to stretch yoursel

UC Santa Cruz scales back size of freshmen class - San Jose Mercury News

UC Santa Cruz scales back size of freshmen class - San Jose Mercury News

UC Santa Cruz scales back size of freshmen class

Updated: 04/14/2010 06:29:06 PM PDT

SANTA CRUZ - UC Santa Cruz is continuing to be more picky about who gets in as it looks for ways to deal with reduced state funding.

The university announced Wednesday that it accepted 64.9 percent of freshman applicants for the fall, which is down from 83 percent in 2007 and 74.3 percent in 2008 and in line with the acceptance rate of 63.7 percent in 2009.

UCSC wants to establish a trend of slightly smaller and higher caliber freshmen classes. The goal is to begin the new school year with 3,200 freshmen, Admissions Director Michelle Whittingham said. By comparison, the 2008 fall class had 3,900 freshmen and 2009 had 3,214.

The decision to shrink the freshman class, Whittingham said, is largely due to reduced education funding from the cash-strapped state, which has grappled with a $20 billion budget crisis for the past three years.

"This is a very competitive cycle, and we're looking to decrease our numbers," Whittingham said. "There's been a

Battling for a Spot | City on a Hill Press

Battling for a Spot | City on a Hill Press

Battling for a Spot

By Dana Burd

City on a Hill Press Reporter

Illustration by Rachel Edelstein.

Illustration by Rachel Edelstein.

UC Office of the President (UCOP) recently said that an increase in selectivity across most campuses made admissions the most competitive in UC history this year.

UCOP released admittance information for the fall 2010 California resident freshman class on April 14.

A projected 18.5 percent of California public high school graduates applied to UCs, an amount up 5.5 percent since 2008. Systemwide, 71.6 percent of California resident students who applied for fall 2010 were admitted, down slightly from 72.5 percent in 2009.

Susan Wilbur, director of undergraduate admissions for the UC, said that a lack of state funding for enrollment increases — along with a current over-enrollment of 15,000 — contributed to the necessity for enrollment cutbacks.

“The UC remains committed to enrolling as many California students as we are funded for,” Wilbur said.

Students have been encouraged to apply to as many UCs as possible.

“With increased selectivity on many of the campuses students were encouraged to apply broadly to increase

Alisal parents tell state officials they want to keep bilingual education programs - MontereyHerald.com :

Alisal parents tell state officials they want to keep bilingual education programs - MontereyHerald.com :

Alisal parents tell state officials they want to keep bilingual education programs

Parents make push to stress bilingual education programs
By CLAUDIA MELÉNDEZ SALINAS
Herald Salinas Bureau
Updated: 04/15/2010 01:46:42 AM PDT

There were pleas to end harassment, to bring in an honest trustee, and not to let the principals of the Alisal Union School District go.

But perhaps the most common request from speakers during a visit from members of the California Department of Education board Wednesday was for support for bilingual education.

"You have to keep our bilingual programs; that's the best for our Latino children," said Maria Ramirez, mother of two students in the district. "We need to have bilingual programs and bilingual teachers."

About 300 people attended a community meeting at Jesse Sanchez Elementary School called by the Department of Education.

Board President Ted Mitchell wanted to receive comments from community members about the qualities they would like to see in a state trustee, how long a trustee should stay at the district, and what kind of powers he or she should have.

As part of sanctions under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, the state Department of Education decided in

Federal student loan program expanding

Federal student loan program expanding

Federal student loan program expanding

Esteem Brumfield's parents never sent their son to school. So in 2008, when the 21-year-old announced he would go to college rather than pursue the religious life his parents planned for him, Brumfield found himself on his own and penniless.

He got a job, enrolled in Berkeley City College and found a homeless shelter. Now he is hoping that changes to the federal student loan program will propel him to graduate school for a master's degree in teaching and - eventually - into law school.

"Going from homelessness to grad school is a far-reaching dream for me," Brumfield said this week.

Signed into federal law on March 30, the education portion of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act snagged fewer headlines than the



Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/14/MN941CU6VQ.DTL#ixzz0lAb7rAmQ

Trashed document outlines alleged perks for Palin - CNN.com

Trashed document outlines alleged perks for Palin - CNN.com

Trashed document outlines alleged perks for Palin

By the CNN Wire Staff
April 15, 2010 -- Updated 0807 GMT (1607 HKT)
t1larg.jpg
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • California state college foundation allegedly considered perks to hire Sarah Palin as speaker
  • Attorney General Jerry Brown has opened an investigation into the foundation's finances
  • Document detailing contractual details allegedly found in trash by 2 students

(CNN) -- First-class commercial air travel for two or a private jet -- "must be a Lear 60 or larger" -- from Alaska to California and back. A deluxe hotel suite "registered under an alias." And two unopened bottles of still water with "bendable straws."

That's what former Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin wanted from a California state college foundation as part of her speaking agreement, according to a draft of a confidential contract allegedly lifted from a Dumpster by two students.

That a publicly funded college would consider spending money in this fashion sparked controversy. But that the speaker was none other than Palin has taken the flap to a whole new level.

Attorney General Jerry Brown opened an investigation Tuesday into the finances of the California State University Stanislaus Foundation, which raises money for the university and booked Palinto headline its June event.

"We are taking this action to make sure that the money raised goes toward the intended educational purposes and not a dollar is wasted or misspent," said Brown, a Democratic gubernatorial candidate.

State Sen. Leland Yee, also a Democrat, has demanded to see the speaking contract, citing the public records Act. At a Tuesday new