Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 9, 2021

Gary Rubinstein: Why I Left the “Reform” Movement | Diane Ravitch's blog

Gary Rubinstein: Why I Left the “Reform” Movement | Diane Ravitch's blog
Gary Rubinstein: Why I Left the “Reform” Movement



Gary Rubinstein is well known to readers of this blog, as I have posted almost all of his blogs. He is a career high school math teacher in the New York City public schools. I met Gary about ten years ago, when I had made a complete turnaround in my views about testing and choice. I was working on an article about “miracle schools” that fudged their data and discovered that Gary was an expert on reviewing school-level data and exposing frauds. He helped me write an article (“Waiting for a Miracle School”) that appeared in the New York Times in 2011, and he has continued to be a friend ever since. Gary’s analytical skills have been invaluable in fighting off idiotic “reforms,” like evaluating teachers by their students’ test scores (known as VAM). In his multiple posts on that subject, he showed its many flaws. For example, an elementary teacher might get a high score in reading and a low score in math, posing the dilemma of whether the district could fire her in one subject while CONTINUE READING: Gary Rubinstein: Why I Left the “Reform” Movement | Diane Ravitch's blog