Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

I’m a Teacher, and I’m Losing My Patience, Too | Eclectablog

I’m a Teacher, and I’m Losing My Patience, Too | Eclectablog
I’m a Teacher, and I’m Losing My Patience, Too




In spite of most of the US public being supportive of public education, our schools, and our children’s teachers, a small but vocal minority has been growing increasingly rambunctious about reopening schools. Recently, Dr. Ben Linas, a physician in Brookline, MA, added his apparently cranky voice to this debate, penning a piece for Vox titled, “I’m an epidemiologist and a father. Here’s why I’m losing patience with our teachers’ unions”.

According to Linas, “we have accumulated a massive amount of data about how to keep schools open safely,” and he points to evidence from Scotland, Singapore, and France to suggest that schools can be reopened, even without teachers receiving vaccines–a step he doesn’t believe is necessary to safely open up schools again. He goes on to say that while masks are a good idea, social distancing isn’t really a big deal…

One sticking point, for example, has been the union’s early and continued insistence that desks remain at least 6 feet apart at all times. This requirement mathematically determines whether there is enough space for learners in the building. Distancing is absolutely critical to Covid-19 mitigation, but there is no magical threshold that makes 6 feet the “safe” distance and 5 feet “dangerous.”

Curiously, Dr. Linas doesn’t include any “data” from Sweden. And there may be a reason… CONTINUE READING: I’m a Teacher, and I’m Losing My Patience, Too | Eclectablog