Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

It's Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... A VERY BUSY DAY | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

It's Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... A VERY BUSY DAY | The latest news and resources in education since 2007



The Best Social Emotional Learning Resources Of 2019 – Part Two
Time for another end-of-year “Best” list! I’ll be adding this list to I’m adding this post to All My 2019 “Best” Lists In One Place! I publish a regular series called SEL Weekly Update , and I thought it would useful to readers and to me to review them and highlight the ones I think are the best of the year. You might also be interested in “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resou

YESTERDAY

Video: “FireStorm: How Wildfires Are Spread”
skeeze / Pixabay I’m adding this new video from The Weather Channel to The Best Sites For Learning About Forest Fires:
“Students Feel More Motivated When Writing for ‘Authentic Audiences'”
Students Feel More Motivated When Writing for ‘Authentic Audiences’ is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. Shanna Peeples, Mary K. Tedrow, Amy Sandvold, and Laverne Bowers “wrap up” this five-part series on students writing for “authentic audiences.” Here are some excerpts: I’m adding it to The Best Places Where Students Can Write For An “Authentic Audience”
Video: “What if We Nuke a City?”
TGrand / Pixabay Here’s a new and terrifying video from Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About Nuclear Weapons .
We’re Taping A Four Video Series On Student Motivation This Week – Here Are A Ton Of Related Resources In The Meantime
geralt / Pixabay Katie Hull and I will be videotaping a four-part (short) video series on student motivation for Ed Week, and it’s happening this week! As regular readers know, I’ve written three books on the topic and have a fourth one in the works, too. The videos will be out later this year but, in the meantime, you might want to check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Student Motivatio
New Law In California Says Schools Will Start Later In Morning – What Opportunities Might It Offer
California’s governor just signed a law requiring schools to start later in the morning. For our school, that will mean beginning twenty minutes later (from 8:10 to 8:30 AM). Interestingly, I seldom have had students initiate a conversation about a current event as much as they did today after reading about the law online. And it was all positive. Like our state union, I wasn’t a big fan of the b
New Resources On Indigenous Peoples’ Day & Columbus Day
Alexas_Fotos / Pixabay Here are new additions to an already massive list, The Best Online Resources About Christopher Columbus & Indigenous Peoples’ Day: Columbus Day Or Indigenous Peoples’ Day? is from NPR. Illuminative is a new resource site created by Native American youth. “This isn’t a day about protesting Columbus, it’s about celebrating indigenous people,” the founder of Indigenous Peoples
My Latest BAM! Radio Show Offers Suggestions On When To Use – & Not To Use – Tech In The Classroom
Knowing When to Say Yes and When to Say No to Education Technology is the topic of my latest ten-minute BAM! Radio show. I’m joined in the discussion by Anne Jenks, Irina McGrath, and Michelle Shory, who have also all contributed written commentaries to my Education Week Teacher column. I’m adding this show to All My BAM Radio Shows – Linked With Descriptions .
Big New Study Finds That Inquiry & Problem-Based Instruction In Math/Science Is Effective
Students Learn More From Inquiry-Based Teaching, International Study Finds is an article in Education Week that does a good job summarizing a new study finding that inquiry and problem-based teaching can be effective in math and 
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007