Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Here Comes the Goose Stepper - Teacher Habits

Here Comes the Goose Stepper - Teacher Habits

Here Comes the Goose Stepper
Last week, I came across this phenomenal video on my Twitter:
First, I thought, “That’s rather funny and clever.”
Then I thought, “Man, what a bunch of goose stepping morons.”
Then, I started thinking about teaching because that’s what I do. And what I thought – forgive me – is that we’ve got some goose stepping teachers walking around and they should probably knock it off.
We watch a video like the above and shake our heads. We chuckle a little over how goofy the soldiers look, even without the Bee Gees. Because the goose step is strongly associated with the Nazis, North Korea, and other dictatorial regimes, we see it as backwards, a symbol of blind obedience. George Orwell captured most westerners’ opinion of the goose step when he wrote that it was only used in countries where the population was too scared to laugh at its military.
But here’s the thing about those goose stepping soldiers: Some of them, maybe even most of them, are thinking about how much they’re killing the thing. Pick a soldier out of the above video clip and this is probably pretty close to what’s going through his or her head:
Look at me, crushing this march. Nobody goose steps like I do. Watch me swing my legs. Perfectly straight! Not like Chan-woo over there. Man, I feel good! I’m goosing the hell out of this step!
Which goes to show you that people have an amazing capacity to feel CONTINUE READING: Here Comes the Goose Stepper - Teacher Habits