Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Educational Accountability and the Science of Scapegoating the Powerless | radical eyes for equity

Educational Accountability and the Science of Scapegoating the Powerless | radical eyes for equity

Educational Accountability and the Science of Scapegoating the Powerless

Several years ago when I submitted an Op-Ed to the largest newspaper in my home state of South Carolina, the editor rejected the historical timeline I was using for state standards and testing, specifically arguing that accountability had begun in the late 1990s and not in the early 1980s as I noted.
Here’s the interesting part.
I began teaching in South Carolina in the fall of 1984, the first year of major education reform under then-governor Richard Riley. That reform included a significant teacher pay raise, extended days of working for teachers, and the standards-testing regime that would become normal for all public education across the U.S.
In fact, SC’s accountability legislation dates back to the late 1970s (I sent her links to all this).
As a beginning teacher, the only public schooling I ever knew was teaching to standards and high-stakes tests by identifying standards on my lesson plans and implementing benchmark assessments throughout the academic year to document I was teaching what was mandated as a bulwark against low student tests scores. State testing, including punitive exit exams, pervaded everything about being an English teacher.
Yet, an editor, herself a career journalist, was quick to assume my expertise as a classroom practitioner and then college professor of education was mistaken.
This is a snapshot of how mainstream media interact with education as a topic and educators as professionals.
I am reminded of that experience over and over in fact as I read media coverage of education. Take for example this from Education WeekWant Teachers to Motivate Their Students? Teach Them How, which has the CONTINUE READING: Educational Accountability and the Science of Scapegoating the Powerless | radical eyes for equity