Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

CURMUDGUCATION: Wasting Time In School

CURMUDGUCATION: Wasting Time In School
Wasting Time In School


It's tax season, so it's time for this sort of meme--


These are just another version the compliant that teachers hear all the time-- why are we learning this? When am I ever going to use it? Every discipline has its own version. English-- when will I ever need to know subjects and verbs? Math-- when will I ever need to know the quadratic equation? Phys ed-- when will I ever have to do a shuttle run? History-- when will I ever need to know any history at all? (History teachers have it he worst.)


The answer, of course, is that we have no idea. Maybe life will take you to a place where you need to pick apart sentences. Maybe it never will.


When I was teaching, I had three main responses to this general complaint. Here they are-- and you can feel free to use them, because until the Board of Directors and my grandchildren get a little older, I won't be using them for anything.


****


Nobody ever said, "Dammit-- I wish I hadn't learned so much. Being educated totally messed up my life."


****


Most of our athletes spend a ton of time in the weight room, even in the off season. Why do they do that? Has anyone ever been at a football game and the play action totally stopped so that they could bring a bunch of equipment on the field so that the teams could have a bench press competition? Of course not. Operating those weight machines is a skill you will never use doing an CONTINUE READING: CURMUDGUCATION: Wasting Time In School