Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Children of the Gun: How Lax Firearm Legislation Affects My Students | gadflyonthewallblog

Children of the Gun: How Lax Firearm Legislation Affects My Students | gadflyonthewallblog

Children of the Gun: How Lax Firearm Legislation Affects My Students

Tanisha was just 6-years-old the first time she was in a shooting.
She was home in the kitchen looking for a cookie when she heard a “pop pop pop” sound.
Her mother rushed into the room and told her to get down.
Tanisha didn’t know what was happening.
“Hush, Baby,” her mom said wrapping the child in her arms and pulling her to the floor. “Someone’s out there shooting up the neighborhood.”
That was a story one of my 8th grade students told me today.
And it was far from the only one.
For the first time, my urban school district in Western Pennsylvania had an ALICE training for the students.
The program helps prepare schools, businesses and churches in case of an active shooter. Its name is an acronym for its suggested courses of action – Alert, CONTINUE READING: Children of the Gun: How Lax Firearm Legislation Affects My Students | gadflyonthewallblog