Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Take Two® | Meet LAUSD's new school board member Kelly Gonez | 89.3 KPCC

Take Two® | Meet LAUSD's new school board member Kelly Gonez | 89.3 KPCC:

Meet LAUSD's new school board member Kelly Gonez


Kelly Gonez is a former teacher and the incoming LAUSD school board member for District 6, which covers the east of the San Fernando Valley.
Gonez's term begins July 6, and her win was cast as a victory by those who back charter schools.
In a sit-down interview with KPCC education reporter Kyle Stokes, Gonez addresses her commitment to charter schools and what's on her agenda for Day 1.

Interview highlights

DURING THE CAMPAIGN YOU HAD WRITTEN TO KPCC THAT, "I AM CONCERNED THAT MANY CHARTER OPERATORS ARE FINDING THE RENEWAL OR APPROVAL PROCESS TO BE MUCH MORE NEGATIVE THAN IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST." COULD PEOPLE READ THAT AS YOUR DESIRE TO RELAX STANDARDS FOR CHARTER APPLICATIONS?

For me, I don't think that was the best choice of words. ...
I draw a distinction between oversight and meaningful accountability. The renewal process, but oversight generally, has not always been focused on students, so I've been concerned about that. 
So I don't think it's about relaxing standards at all, but compliance does not equal accountability. Real accountability means that we are looking holistically at how schools are doing and then we provide supports so they can improve.

SOME HAVE READ A LOT INTO THE FOUR-VOTE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ON THE BOARD, INCLUDING YOURSELF, WHO HAVE BEEN SUPPORTED BY CALIFORNIA CHARTER SCHOOL ASSOCIATION. WHAT IF THIS IS A SIGNAL TO CHARTER OPERATORS THAT THEY COULD FIND A MORE WELCOME ENVIRONMENT FOR APPLICATIONS?

I'm not interested in a dramatic expansion or really any expansion, at all, in the number of independent charter schools in the district.
I understand why this narrative has picked up some steam, but I would urge people to dig a little bit deeper.
If you look at the many things that I have written, charter school expansion is not one of my stated priorities in my campaign.

WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES WHEN YOU TAKE OFFICE?

The first is ensuring that every child who graduates from an LAUSD high 
Take Two® | Meet LAUSD's new school board member Kelly Gonez | 89.3 KPCC: