Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Badass Teachers Association: 7 Ways Public Education Is Like Church by Laura D. Brown

Badass Teachers Association: 7 Ways Public Education Is Like Church by Laura D. Brown:

7 Ways Public Education Is Like Church 

by Laura D. Brown



I was raised Roman Catholic. Yup. Baptized, communion, confirmation, marriage — I have received many sacraments. As an adult, however, I am a bad Catholic. I don’t attend mass, and my children are heathens. However, when asked about my religious affiliation, I will always proclaim that I am Catholic.

My relationship with the Roman Catholic Church is similar to many Americans relationship with public education. I know this post will offend some people, but that is not my intent. Please allow me to explain my analogy.

1. You must have faith.

Like Christianity, one must see the end goal in mind when thinking about the mission of public education. Christianity’s mission is to live a life based on Jesus’ teachings in order to find salvation. Public education’s mission is to provide education to every resident in the United States of America. That education is supposed to be appropriate, rigorous, and standardized. Americans must have faith in the mission of public education, or they will abandon their community schools and search for alternatives. Many Americans have lost their faith in their local public education system and Badass Teachers Association: 7 Ways Public Education Is Like Church by Laura D. Brown: