Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Always Be Testing – The Sales Pitch for Corporate Education Reform | gadflyonthewallblog

Always Be Testing – The Sales Pitch for Corporate Education Reform | gadflyonthewallblog:

Always Be Testing – The Sales Pitch for Corporate Education Reform

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 10.31.13 AM
(After the “Brass Balls” speech in “Glengarry Glen Ross,” by David Mamet.)
(Rated PG-13 for language)
(Interior: a public school classroom during an after school staff meeting. Teachers are seated at student desks including Singer, Moss and Aaronow. Williamson, a middle school principal, stands in front of the room flanked by Blake, a motivational speaker brought in by the state. Singer is furiously grading papers. The other teachers are pleasantly chatting about trifles before Blake calls the gathering to attention.)
[Blake]

Let me have your attention for a moment! So you’re talking about what? You’re talking about that kid you failed, some son of a bitch who doesn’t want to pass, some snot-nosed brat you’re trying to remediate and so forth. Let’s talk about something important. Are they all here?
[Williamson]

All but one.
[Blake]

Well, I’m going anyway. Let’s talk about something important! (to Singer) Put that colored marker down!
[Singer]
But I’m grading papers…
(Blake)
I said Put that marker down! Markers are for testers only.
(Singer scoffs)
[Blake]
Do you think I’m fucking with you? I am not fucking with you. I’m here from downtown. I’m here from the Governor and the Legislature. And I’m here on Always Be Testing – The Sales Pitch for Corporate Education Reform | gadflyonthewallblog: