Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Design of a Decade: Moments From 10 Years Of Writing | The Jose Vilson

Design of a Decade: Moments From 10 Years Of Writing | The Jose Vilson:

Design of a Decade: Moments From 10 Years Of Writing

One of my first website looks.
People forget that, ten years ago, the idea of blogging aloud made no sense to the average reader. The mainstream media had the stranglehold on public opinion, and trying to get an op-ed into any space requires a lot of know-how and a little know-who. Teachers were always talked about, but few were given the space to opine on education policy save for those connected to education professions or multi-million dollar non-profits. And even then. Social media wasn’t a “thing,” though I was already on Facebook. Some people still didn’t know what to make of education reform, and I was still working on my teaching craft.
So, instead of waxing nostalgic about how spectacular my blog is, I’ll just tell you what’s kept me writing. The one comment from a student who didn’t come out yet to his parent, but found strength in a story I shared about my student going through his journey. The letters I’ve received from educators across the nation who needed to know they weren’t alone in their thinking, and the ones who stayed one more year as a result. The tweets from people who aren’t in the education field but read my blog to get a better understanding of a teacher’s perspective. The professors who changed their syllabi to accommodate for conversations about race, class, and intersectionality, helping future Design of a Decade: Moments From 10 Years Of Writing | The Jose Vilson: