Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 31, 2014

7-31-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher

Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.:




No ten minute drawings for the next few days.


Guest ten minute drawing. Mike Klonsky.
As you may know, my drawing arm is presently in a cast. I have invited guest Ten Minute Drawers to fill in. All submissions are welcome. - Mike Klonsky is my older brother.

Guest ten minute drawing. Jerry Mulvihill.
As you may know, my drawing arm is presently in a cast. I have invited guest Ten Minute Drawers to fill in. All submissions are welcome. - Jerry Mulvihill is a fifth grade teacher and NEA/IEA union activist.
Comcast. T-shirts. Two million blog hits. Ten minute drawings. August.
Count on Comcast. That’s my internet provider. Don’t ask me why. It has something to do with me not ever wanting to talk to customer service. Even to close my account. About an hour before I reached two million site visits this afternoon my Comcast connection went down. And it just came back a few minutes ago. During that time is when my blog reached two million site visits. It was like Heidi at


Guest ten minute drawing. Annie Tan.
As you may know, my drawing arm is presently in a cast. I have invited guest Ten Minute Drawers to fill in. All submissions are welcome. - Annie Tan is a Chicago Special Education teacher. Annie writes, “Not ten minutes but I was passionate about this one.”


Guest ten minute drawing. Jose Vilson.
- Jose Vilson is a teacher, blogger and author of the best selling This is Not a Test. “Cuomo” by Jose Vilson


President Eskelsen Garcia. Meet Senate Bill 7.
This blogger and NEA President-elect Lily Eskelsen Garcia at the NEA RA in Denver. If you go back and read my report from the Representative Assembly of the NEA – I was a retired delegate – you will see that I thought it went pretty well. I would have wished for a more open debate on Common Core. Out-going NEA President Dennis Van Roekel allowed for less discussion of CCSS than even the brief 45
Lily Eskelesen Garcia. Duncan policies are indefensible.
NEA President-elect Lily Eskelsen Garcia and an amateur basketball player. - Salon Other than being unfair to individual teachers, does basing evaluations and school ratings on test scores hurt students too? Using test scores is basically saying to educators, “Hit your number or you get punished.” Or even worse, “Hit your number in El Paso, if you’re an administrator, and we’ll give you a bunch o
Hinsdale’s Dr. Skoda is quite the hypocrite, isn’t he?
It is generally considered bad-faith bargaining to come back to the bargaining with a lower offer than what was offered previously. Collective bargaining assumes an intent on the part of both sides to move towards each other, finding common ground. It was unexpected – but not out of character – for the Hinsdale board in suburban Chicago to engage in bad-faith bargaining. From the press release of
Ten minute drawing. Guest posts.
Since my drawing arm is in a cast for the next week or so, I have solicited guest posts. Drawings reflecting a topic relevant to this blog’s broad areas of concern are welcome. Level of talent is no object. Let’s have fun. Here is the first submission: credit: aapplecpaa.com


Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.: Glen Brown. How you benefit from our defined benefit pension.- Glen Brown is a teacher, pension activist and blogger. This post can be found at Teacher/Poet/Musician. Pensionomics 2014: Measuring the Economic Impact of Defined Benefit Pension Expenditures reports the national economic impacts of publi