Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 10, 2014

5-10-14 Daily Kos



http://www.dailykos.com/blog/teacherken






Charles. M. Blow writes on the death penalty
The botched Oklahoma execution of Clayton Lockett has called our continued use of the death penalty in this country back into question. In many ways, the death penalty is an abhorrent attempt to sate an irrational cultural bloodlust, rooted in vengeance and barbarism and detached from data. That is the opening of Eye-for-an-Eye Incivility, the first of Blo'ws New York Times columns to appear in hi

MAY 03

VA-08 - a resident looks at the Dem primary to replace Jim Moran
I live in the 8th Congressional District of Virginia.  At the end of this, his 12th term, Jim Moran is retiring. The district is heavily Democratic, having been carried by Obama in 2010 69-30.  It contains all of the cities Falls Church and Alexandria, all of Arlington County (where I live), and a portion of Fairfax County (which is split among 3 Congressional districts, also the 10th and the 11th
Saturday morning thoughts about continuing as a teacher
Well, since I am now committed to at least one more year in a classroom, when I will be 69 by its end, perhaps I might accept a couple of things. 1.  I will never retire.  I will have to be dragged out of the classroom 2.  My National Board Certified Teacher status expires November 2015.  I think I can justify renewing it 3.  Being around teenagers is what keeps me feeling young 4.  Not having bio