Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 27, 2013

Daily Kos: Memorial Day from the perspective of a non-combat veteran

Daily Kos: Memorial Day from the perspective of a non-combat veteran:

Memorial Day from the perspective of a non-combat veteran

In June of 1965, having decided to drop out of college, I walked into the recruiting booth in Times Square.  By the time I walked out 45 minutes later I had signed papers to enlist in the Marine Corps, without telling my father.  I was 19 years old.  In those days there were only two legal actions that an adolescent could do without parental information -  give blood, and enlist in the military.  Remember, this is a time when at age 18 males became subject to conscription through the draft.
I served during Vietnam.  Marines had landed at DaNang that March.  I knew people who had seen serious combat, some of whom bore psychological scars even if not physical ones.  Some had been decorated for what one acquaintance called "acts that would would have gotten me imprisoned in civilian life."
All of my service was stateside.  Other than boot camp at Parris Island at Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Geiger (part of the larger base at Camp LeJeune, and itself home of the Recon Marines), all of my service was at Marine Corps Schools, Quantico Virginia.
Part of my service was administrative support - it was in the Marines that I first learned about computers.
The more memorable part was to serve in the Post Band.  It is this experience that shapes a major part of my