Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 1, 2013

The Selfish Case for the Common Good | educarenow

The Selfish Case for the Common Good | educarenow:


The Selfish Case for the Common Good

“Now Tom said ‘Mom, wherever there’s a cop beatin’ a guy
Wherever a hungry newborn baby cries
Where there’s a fight against the blood and hatred in the air
Look for me mom I’ll be there
Wherever there’s somebody fightin’ for a place to stand
Or a decent job or a helpin’ hand
Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free
Look in their eyes Mom you’ll see me.’”
Bruce Springsteen
The Ghost of Tom Joad
This is a hard post to write, because…
I’m white.
I’m male.
I live in the suburbs.
I have enough money.
I had parents who were able
to afford my college costs.
I reek of privilege
that has had the effect of offering me tremendous opportunities
that I am eternally grateful for.
In spite of this privilege, and because of the values my parents and community instilled in me, I have always been compassionate towards the underprivileged. I