Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 12, 2012

What It Takes to Teach in an Urban School « Diane Ravitch's blog

What It Takes to Teach in an Urban School « Diane Ravitch's blog:


What It Takes to Teach in an Urban School

As I said in an earlier post, I am not sure if the teaching techniques and curriculum should be tailored to urban students, whether this is a form of racism or sensitivity. I’m listening and learning from teachers who know far more than I do. I worry about the danger of segregated schools and segregated learning styles. But I have heard the horror stories for years about teachers who couldn’t control their classrooms and about disruptive students and students who insult the teacher and think they are heroes for doing so. Back in the 1950s, the disorderly kids were white (think “Blackboard Jungle”). Now they are more likely to be kids of color. Affluence tends to bring decorum in its wings, regardless of race or gender or other factors. One seldom hears of unruly students at Choate or Exeter.
This teacher wants to set the record straight about the differences teaching in different communities:

The Goals of the Boston Consulting Group

In an earlier post today, I wondered about the Boston Consulting Group. I knew this was a major management consulting organization, one of those companies that helps corporations do strategic planning (or whatever it is they do to or with or for their clients). I knew that they advised the Philadelphia School Reform Commission to privatize a large number of its schools and gave the same advice to the planning committee for Memphis.
This bothers me because public schools are supposed to be instruments of the local community; they are supposed to be run along democratic principles, attuned to the needs and aspirations of their local community, 
Diane said: “I understand the importance of classroom management. So does every teacher. The question