Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

TEACHER DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE « Teachers Fight Back

TEACHER DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE « Teachers Fight Back:


TEACHER DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

I HEREBY DECLARE MY INDEPENDENCE FROM :
Worrying about my students’ test scores in terms of my evaluation. I will not play that game.
Feeling guilty about my union and or the right to strike. Those are as American as apple pie.
Any teacher who does a stupid thing that gets on the news. I am not incompetent, nor are the vast majority of my colleagues.
Feeling guilty about my salary, benefits, and or pension. I work my ass off and I deserve to be compensated.
Incompetent parents. I will not be made the scapegoat for you who ruined your child’s chances at success.
School reformers who seem to have all the answers and yet quit teaching after a year or two. You got out because you couldn’t handle the job, now don’t tell me what works best.
Those who would have us adopt a merit pay system. You belittle our profession and make it seem like imparting knowledge is all that a teacher does.
The state of Illinois. I don’t want to be part of a state that allows its legislators to steal funds from the pension of hard-working teachers.
A modern society where people refuse to accept personal responsibility and always make excuses or blame someone else for their failures.
Any political party that attacks teachers and teacher unions.
Any school district who has a discipline policy that takes away the opportunity for teachers to discipline their