Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: More "What Research?!"

Jersey Jazzman: More "What Research?!":


More "What Research?!"

As I've moaned before, I hate it when anyone says "research shows..." and then refuses to cite the research.

I mean, really hate it:
Teachers are the No. 1 in-school factor affecting student success. Research says a highly effective teacher can help students achieve as much as an additional year's worth of academic gains over one school year compared with a less effective teacher. 
[...] 
Research shows that there are both outstanding teachers and ineffective teachers across all levels of experience. According to two recent studies, the vast majority of seniority-based layoffs result in better teachers leaving classrooms and less-effective teachers staying.
Jeez Louise. What do I have to do? Guess what research you're talking about? You couldn't give me a clue?