Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

“I Dare You to Measure the ‘Value’ I Add” | Edwize

“I Dare You to Measure the ‘Value’ I Add” | Edwize:

“I Dare You to Measure the ‘Value’ I Add”

An ESL teacher in a NYC elementary school makes a case against value-added assessments.

Tell me how you determine the value I add to my class.
Tell me about the algorithms you applied when you took data from 16 students over a course of nearly five years of teaching and somehow used it to judge me as “below average” and “average”.
Tell me how you can examine my skills and talents and attribute worth to them without knowing me, my class, or my curriculum requirements.
Tell me how and I will tell you:
How all of my students come from different countries, different levels of prior education and literacy, and how there is no “research-based” elementary curriculum created to support schools or teachers to specifically meet their needs.
How the year for which you have data was the year my fifth graders first learned about gangs, the internet, and their sexual identities.
How the year for which you have data was the year that two of my students were so wracked by fear of deportation, depression and sleep deprivation from nightmares, that they could barely sit still and often fought with other students. How they became best of friends by year’s end. How one of them still visits me every September.

Continue reading at No Sleep ’til Summer »