Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 22, 2011

What Happened to My Grade Book?: Curriculum-Based Instruction & Standards-Based Education

What Happened to My Grade Book?: Curriculum-Based Instruction & Standards-Based Education:

Curriculum-Based Instruction & Standards-Based Education


"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson


Once upon a time...
teachers went to work and were handed a curriculum. The curriculum that I taught from was developed by our district. It was a packet of what, exactly, I was expected to teach in every subject area. It detailed all of the subject areas and the content I was expected to teach. I used my professional judgement to assign grades reflective of student performance. (Don't tell but I never once made it all the way through everything.)

Teaching a curriculum went something like this...