Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 30, 2011

Retribalized by My Life’s Soundtrack: “Downtown” | Lefty Parent

Retribalized by My Life’s Soundtrack: “Downtown” | Lefty Parent:

Retribalized by My Life’s Soundtrack: “Downtown”

As I have said before, my life has been lived to a soundtrack. Growing up in an age of ubiquitous car radios, restaurant juke boxes, record players and later stereos, it seems like the popular songs of the day were always playing in the background, over and over. Marshall McLuhan talks about the “retribalization” that is the “water we swim in” in an age of ubiquitous electronic media. Said McLuhan in his 1969 Playboy magazine interview

The electronically induced technological extensions of our central nervous systems… are immersing us in a world-pool of information movement and are thus enabling man to incorporate