Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What I Learned at Siena - Bridging Differences - Education Week

What I Learned at Siena - Bridging Differences - Education Week

What I Learned at Siena

Dear Deborah,

Last week, I had the great pleasure of visiting Siena College, a liberal arts college founded by the Franciscan order near Albany, New York. I was there to receive an honorary degree, but I soon realized that I was there to learn about the remarkable culture of this close-knit community. When I asked students why they chose to attend Siena, each one immediately responded, "because of the sense of community." Faculty members echoed the same sentiment.

The more I learned about Siena, the more I understood its commitment to service, especially to those who are most vulnerable. My fellow honorees were Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health, whose research has been so important in battling AIDS, malaria, and other diseases, and Ralph Perez of CREATE, an agency that assists people in dire need of food, shelter, and medical support in West Harlem. I felt humbled and