Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mulgrew: stop paying to recruit teachers when there are no vacancies « JD2718

Mulgrew: stop paying to recruit teachers when there are no vacancies « JD2718

Mulgrew: stop paying to recruit teachers when there are no vacancies

It’s not the same as my call to stop recruiting TfA in NYC, ever, period.

I propose … to eliminate … the $5 million it spends on the New Teacher Project to recruit teachers even when there are no vacancies.
- Michael Mulgrew, January 26, 2011, Center for New York City Affairs

But in the flurry of activity these last two weeks around snow storms and school closings, I missed that line fromMulgrew’s speech at the Center for NYC Affairs, on January 26. (Actually, I missed a lot. That speech contains a wealth of proposals, some I like, some I recoil from, but it bears careful review. It was new, and provides some vision going forward.)

TfA is the bigger problem. They leave by design. The City pays a premium to recruit them. In general they don’t