Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Daily Kos: What about the poor?

Daily Kos: What about the poor?

What about the poor?

President Obama made history on Tuesday.

It was only the second time since Harry S. Truman’s State of the Union address in 1948 that such a speech by a Democratic president did not include a single mention of poverty or the plight of the poor.

So begins Hard-Knock (Hardly Acknowledged) Life, a column in today's New York Times by Charles Blow that grabbed my attention when I glanced at it in the middle of the night.

I got up for what I thought would be a brief moment to feed the cats shortly before 3:30. I glanced at the op ed page of the Times. I read the Blow. I could not go back to sleep.

There are political as well as moral implications in