Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 1, 2010

SPARK Summit Inspired My Students to Launch a Movement � Feminist Teacher

SPARK Summit Inspired My Students to Launch a Movement � Feminist Teacher

SPARK Summit Inspired My Students to Launch a Movement

The recent SPARK Summit held at Hunter College inspired my students to launch a movement against the sexualization of girls and women in the media. After watching a video made by the Women’s Media Center on the horrific ways in which girls and women are objectified by the media, students wanted to learn more about how they could be a part of the conversation too.

To prepare my students for the summit, I designed a series of workshops for them to participate in on issues such as media literacy, sexual assault, street harassment, and feminist blogging. Guest visitors from around the country came to my class to share their expertise, culminating in students creating their own feminist blog to be