Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 15, 2022

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007



“No, Temporarily Closing Schools Is Not Like Invading Iraq”
No, Temporarily Closing Schools Is Not Like Invading Iraq is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Are academic challenges experienced by students now primarily attributable to virtual learning or to overall pandemic stress? Here are some excerpts: I’m adding it to Trying To Bring Research, Sanity, Teacher Expertise & Student Voice To The “Learning Loss” Discussion.
Saturday’s New Tweets & Articles About School Reopenings
Megan_Rexazin / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: California school officials revise comments on remote learning options is from Politico. The governor of Puerto Rico sig
SEL Weekly Update
I’ve recently begun this weekly post where I’ll be sharing resources I’m adding to The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources or other related “Best” lists. You might also be interested in THE BEST SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES OF 2021 – PART ONE. Finally, check out “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resources . Here are this week’s picks: Actions We Can Take to Red
A Look Back: “Study Reviews 25 Years Of Research Into What Helps Students Graduate – Here’s What They Found”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post was originally published in 2016: Paul Bruno tweeted out a link to an important new study (that is, unfortunately, behind a paywall) titled Factors that Promote High School Graduation: a Review of the Literature , by Jonathan

JAN 13

“Trust Yourselves, Teachers, in the Face of Omicron”
Trust Yourselves, Teachers, in the Face of Omicron is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Cultivating a sense of play in the classroom is one key strategy teachers are using to combat the stress of coping with the COVID strain. Here are some excerpts:
A Look Back: “Here’s A Narrated Version Of My Slide Deck On SEL & The Common Core”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2016: Yesterday, I gave a presentation to the California Teachers Summit at California State University in Sacramento. Yesterday, I also uploaded my accompanying slide deck, but without narration. Here,
Friday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos About School Reopenings (& Closings)
BestGraphics_Com / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: I bet dollars 2 donuts that leaders & bureaucrats in fed & state depts of Ed, most of whom haven’t worked in k-12 sch
My Most Popular Tweets Of The Month
PhotoMIX-Company / Pixabay I used to post weekly collections of my best tweets, and used Storify to bring them together. Unfortunately, Storify went under. Fortunately, however, Wakelet was a new tool that was able to import all of a person’s Storifys. So you can see all those previous Twitter “Best” lists here . You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR TWEETS OF THE YEAR and RECOMMENDATIO
Most Popular Posts Of The Week
I’m making a change in the content of the regular feature. In addition to sharing the top five posts that have received the most “hits” in the preceding seven-to-ten days (though they may have originally been published on an earlier date), I will also include the top five posts that have actually appeared in the past week. Often, these are different posts. You might also be interested in IT’S THE

JAN 12

A Look Back: “How to Cultivate Student Agency in English Language Learners”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . Our book, Navigating The Common Core With English Language Learners , was published in 2016, and quite a few excerpts were published in various places. MindShift shared a section they headlined How to Cultivate Student Agency in Englis
Thursday’s New Tweets & Articles About School Reopenings
stevepb / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: The White House will distribute 10 million more COVID tests per month to schools is from NPR. Texas schools ask parents to fil
Infographic Of The Week: “The World Population in 2100, by Country”
I’ve been publishing an “infographic of the week” for awhile, and you can see them all here . This one is from Visual Capitalist, and you can see a bigger version with more information there . I’m adding this to The Best Resources For Learning About Our World’s Population Of 7 Billion .
Great Free Professional Development For ELL Teachers Is Now Available – The Electronic Village Online
geralt / Pixabay Every year about this time, I publish a post advertising great free professional development for teachers of English Language Learners — The Electronic Village Online : For five weeks in January and February, TESOL experts and participants from around the world engage in collaborative online discussions or hands-on virtual workshops of professional and scholarly benefit. These se

JAN 11

This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in seeing all my “Best” lists related to education policy here ): Getting education reform right is from The Washington Post. Funding for schools, community colleges to break $100 billion in Gov. Newsom’s proposed budget is from Ed Source. California schools face funding crisis as student pop
New Resources On Race & Racism
I’m adding these new resources to various “Best” lists. You can find links to all of those many lists that relate to race and racism at “Best” Lists Of The Week: Resources For Teaching & Learning About Race & Racism: 4 Changes Schools Can Make to Recruit Teachers of Color and Keep Them Around is from Ed Week. I’m adding it to New & Revised: The Best Resources For Understanding Why We Need More Te
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
BiljaST / Pixabay Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2020. Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners. In additi
A Look Back: “Using The “Green Eggs and Ham hypothesis” To Help Students Develop Creativity”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post was originally published in 2016: You might be wondering, “What in the world is the Green Eggs and Ham hypothesis?” It’s a new moniker given to what has commonly been called the “constraints principle” – an instructional stra
Wednesday’s New Tweets, Articles & Videos On School Reopenings
BestGraphics_Com / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Where are all these ‘back-up’ staff the author says need to be hired? People who don’t work in schools don’t seem to

JAN 10

Tuesday’s New Tweets & Articles On School Reopenings
maxmann / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: Good luck to us all this week, whether teaching in-person (as we are) or remote (as we should be) — Larry Ferlazzo (@Larryferl
Ed Tech Digest
Ten years ago, in another somewhat futile attempt to reduce the backlog of resources I want to share, I began this occasional “” post where I share three or four links I think are particularly useful and related to…ed tech, including some Web 2.0 apps. You might also be interested in THE BEST ED TECH RESOURCES OF 2021 – PART ONE , as well as checking out all my edtech resources . Here are this we
“Sentence Navigators” Are Great Learning Tools For ELLs
“Sentence Navigators” are a term and tool developed by English teacher Jason Renshaw about ten years ago. They are basically grids with words that challenge the reader to select the correct ones to make a sentence. He gave me permission to share many that he created years ago, which you can access at “SENTENCE NAVIGATOR” IS JASON RENSHAW’S GIFT TO ESL/EFL/ELL TEACHERS EVERYWHERE! Katie Hull and I
A Look Back: Sacramento Bee Video Of Me Sharing Tips For New Teachers
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . In 2016, The Sacramento Bee asked me to give ninety-seconds of tips for new teachers. Here’s the video (you might also be interested in The Best Advice For New Teachers ):

JAN 09

“Teacher: ‘Omicron Is Truly Bringing Education to Its Knees’”
Teacher: ‘Omicron Is Truly Bringing Education to Its Knees’ is the headline of my latest Education Week column. Mindfulness exercises, flexible and fun assignments, and high-interest lesson topics can make the relentless situation more bearable. Here are some excerpts:
Monday’s New Tweets & Articles On School Reopenings
geralt / Pixabay Ordinarily, I’d add these new articles and videos to The Best Posts Predicting (& Showing) What Schools Look Like During The Pandemic . However, that list is just getting too massive. So, in the future, if you want to find these in one place, click here: It’s wild how the elite conversation about all this is so abstracted and weirdly overheated relative to the actual, modest, tot
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 22,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2020 Here
A Look Back: “Ofrecer autonomía es clave para desarrollar la motivación”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . I published this post in 2016: tiching, an organization of teachers in Spanish-speaking countries, did an interview with me on student motivation. You can read it – in Spanish – at Larry Ferlazzo: “Ofrecer autonomía es clave para desar
Critical – & I Mean CRITICAL – Point About “Learning Loss” That Is Being…..Lost
aitoff / Pixabay Much of the public date about in-person versus virtual instruction attributes reduced test scores to distance learning. However, as these tweets point out, the majority of factors that influence student achievement lay outside the schoolhouse walls (also see The Best Places To Learn What Impact A Teacher (& Outside Factors) Have On Student Achievement ). Here are some useful twee

JAN 08

Sunday’s New Articles On School Reopenings
viarami / Pixabay America doesn’t have enough teachers to keep schools open is from Vox. 1 2 Oakland schools close after teachers stage ‘sickout,’ citing COVID safety worries is from The L.A. Times. Frustrations rise as Gov. Newsom’s vow to screen students for COVID falls short is from The L.A. Times. As More Teachers’ Unions Push for Remote Schooling, Parents Worry. So Do Democrats. is from The
Video: “How COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines Work”
torstensimon / Pixabay I’m adding this pretty cool video to A BEGINNING LIST OF THE BEST RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS : How COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines Work – Vaccine Makers Project from Vaccine Makers Project on Vimeo .
A Look Back: “Oh, I Get It! If You Send Me Out, Then I’m Being Bad; If I Send Me Out, Then I’m Being Good!”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . I first published this post in 2014. You might also be interested in Best Posts On Classroom Management … I write about positive classroom management strategies a lot (see The Best Posts On Classroom Management ) and I’m always learnin
Many Districts Are Doubling Down On Unskilled Leadership Right Now – Have They Learned Nothing?
photosforyou / Pixabay As I have said on numerous occasions, COVID 19 HAS MADE TRANSPARENT THE LACK OF SKILLED LEADERSHIP IN MANY SCHOOL DISTRICTS. But it has been truly astounding to me in the past week to see that the level of unskilled leadership in many districts reach new heights. Forget about so-called “learning loss” among our students – it seems more prevalent among district leaders. It a

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007