Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 12, 2021

Peter Greene: I Believe in Public Education | Diane Ravitch's blog

Peter Greene: I Believe in Public Education | Diane Ravitch's blog
Peter Greene: I Believe in Public Education



Peter Greene is well-known as a blogger, a teacher, a columnist for Forbes, and a humorist. He taught in the public schools of Pennsylvania for nearly 40 years. He wrote this article at my request.

He wrote:

I believe in public education.

I believe in the promise that every child should have a free quality education. And not by going out to shop for it, to hunt it down like looking for deals on a toaster or a used car, nor to travel far from home to find it, nor to have to beg and apply and hope that the school will accept them, but to have it delivered to them in their own community without exception.

Not that we’ve always hit the bullseye in this country. Our system of tying school financing to housing leaves much to be desired. The same forces of racism and economic inequity that twist and turn our society as a whole also leave their mark on our education system. Those forces CONTINUE READING: Peter Greene: I Believe in Public Education | Diane Ravitch's blog