Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Education Matters: Teacher fear in DCPS is real and palpable.

Education Matters: Teacher fear in DCPS is real and palpable.
Teacher fear in DCPS is real and palpable.


 I have written many times about the lack of contact tracing, and social distancing, and how the dashboard shouldn't be believed. If the district cares, they sure haven't shown it, and the fear for many teachers and staff is real.  

I received this from a reader. I have edited it to take out anything identifying because, sadly, in DCPS, teachers have a lot to be afraid about.

So one of my students is positive. I only found out because I asked the secretary. The only thing my principal has said to me about anything is that their absence has been excused. Telling me in the hallway because he happened to see me.

I’m not going to lie. I’m having a slight panic attack because no one is telling me anything. The only reason I know is because I asked our secretary. If it was just me affected, that is one thing. But it isn’t. It is my class and all the kids. It is all the resource teachers. It is the other teachers on grade level because they make us move kids around for their stupid pet program.

It is my two personal children. It is their classes, their teachers, their middle schools. It is my CONTINUE READING: Education Matters: Teacher fear in DCPS is real and palpable.

Terrie Brady and DTU stick up for veteran teachers
A few weeks back, I was told something may be coming, and Terrie Brady yesterday confirmed it when she asked the district to renegotiate on behalf of veteran teachers, many of who are about to take a pay cut. To be honest, I don’t think it should have come to this. The district has money extra in reserves and is saving money from the referendum. They didn’t have to throw veteran teachers under th
Some good news from DCPS
People have accused me of writing only about bad news, and they are right. I don’t do a good news blog but, in my defense, I am a teacher in Florida, and I do work for DCPS, and they give me plenty of bad news to write about. That being said, there were a few signs of hope at yesterday’s board meeting. Last Monday’s COVID-19 shots for school board employees apparently went over well, I mean very
School Board votes to give themselves a nearly 6,291 dollars raise while giving veterans a pay cut.
You know I had hoped they might do the right thing, and there is a glimmer of hope as the union has requested to reopen contract negotiations for veterans, but at the end of the day, the SB voted to give themselves a 7k raise many while veterans took a pay cut. Teacher salary increases, as well as contrac