Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 29, 2020

IT GOING TO BE A LONG HARD JOURNEY – Dad Gone Wild

IT GOING TO BE A LONG HARD JOURNEY – Dad Gone Wild

IT GOING TO BE A LONG HARD JOURNEY



“Innumerable confusions and a profound feeling of despair invariably emerge in periods of great technological and cultural transitions. Our “Age of Anxiety” is, in great part, the result of trying to do today’s job with yesterday’s tools—with yesterday’s concepts.”
― Marshall McLuhan, The Medium is the Massage
“There comes a time when time itself is ready for a change.”
― Coretta Scott King, My Life, My Love, My Legacy

It’s roughly 6:30 AM in the morning and I’m on the couch trying to grab an extra 10 minutes of sleep. I’d come out here around 4, with the intent of starting the day’s writing, but instead, here I am, grasping for a few winks.
At some point, my boy has come out. He turns 10 next month and he’s still an early riser. I hear him rustling around on the chair across the room.
“What are you doing?”, I ask.
“That second unit of Florida Virtual School I have to have done by today.”
I cringe a little, Yesterday he’d tackled the first one and ended up scoring a 56 on the attached quiz. A score that had set off tears and frustration. He’d never scored that low on schoolwork before and was unsure how to process it. We’d decided to hold off tackling the second unit till today. After all the beauty of asynchronous work is its inherent flexibility.
Virtual learning has been a challenge for families. With a wife who is a school teacher and two middle school kids, adapting has taken a lot of bandwidth on a lot of levels. It’s kind of a mini-miracle that a computer hasn’t sailed through a window at our house. This morning my 6th-grade daughter had a come apart over adjusting to percussion instruction on line. But things are CONTINUE READING: IT GOING TO BE A LONG HARD JOURNEY – Dad Gone Wild