Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 14, 2020

I’m Not UFT President but this is what I would have said: | JD2718

I’m Not UFT President but this is what I would have said: | JD2718

I’m Not UFT President but this is what I would have said:



I did not send out a letter to the membership. I’m not the president. But it would have been far better than the letter that did get sent (copied at the bottom of this post. It is an embarrassment.)  Excuse my mediocre writing. But I think the ideas are solid:
Dear UFT members,
With this school year drawing to a close, we remain focused on finishing things out. We have two more weeks of classes, grading, and reports. I believe you have done an exceptional job in the face of nearly impossible circumstances. The mayor and governor don’t call you essential workers, but you are. Two more weeks. And while I am still trying to get you compensated for the Mayor taking your Spring break, he can’t touch your summer. Enjoy it. You’ve earned it. You’ve more than earned it.

September

Some of us, though, need to focus on September. We need to plan for next year. Chapter Leaders, Programmers, and other UFT members who are leaders and planners in your school, we need your help.

Safety First

My highest priority is keeping UFT members safe. I will not compromise on that. We are also desperate to return to some form of live class.  Society at large wants this. But I will not agree to return to buildings unless we are certain our members will be kept safe.
The Department of Education held discussions with the UFT and others. They are proposing reopening school buildings in September. They don’t think we can fully open – neither do I. They think we can CONTINUE READING: I’m Not UFT President but this is what I would have said: | JD2718