Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 10, 2019

Challenging Classrooms - Teacher Habits

Challenging Classrooms - Teacher Habits

Challenging Classrooms

I enjoy seeing my former students in the hallways at school. When one of them came by my room to tell me she was moving to a new school, I asked her why. She replied, “My parents think I’m not being challenged enough.”
I wish I could say I was surprised, but this was not the first time I had heard this from a student. I sometimes hear this complaint from friends who are parents, too. When speaking with colleagues and other teacher friends, I found that this is something we have all heard more frequently as of late, as test scores, emphasis on STEM programs, and invitation letters for gifted programs are on many parents’ minds. While frustrated by these comments, I wanted to take a step back and evaluate my own classroom as well as find meaningful ways to have conversations with parents about this topic.
Ways to assess and enhance your own challenging environment:
Check in with students: This could be as simple as a walk around the room while students are doing independent work. Who is engaged? Are students clear about expectations? Do they need a lot of support? Are they aware of where to look for guidance and self-assessment?
Equally as important: carve out time for your higher-achieving students. We so often (myself included) can be guilty of assuming they can work independently and don’t need our help. Make sure they are CONTINUE READING: Challenging Classrooms - Teacher Habits