Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Teacher Life: Grading Papers Over Holiday Break | deutsch29

The Teacher Life: Grading Papers Over Holiday Break | deutsch29

The Teacher Life: Grading Papers Over Holiday Break


Like many teachers across these United States, I am finishing a holiday week, which means I was off from school– technically.
It is true that I did not need to report to school this week. However, a notable part of Teacher Life is that school clings to the teacher whether said teacher is on school grounds or no.
On November 5th, I collected from my senior English students 107 formal essays on one of three fiction works of their choice (Silas MarnerPygmalion, or Till We Have Faces).
I began grading them that very day, just a few as my school day allowed.
The entire lot followed me home. On Election Day (November 6th), a holiday from school, I graded roughly another 18 or so as I marathon-watched election results roll in.
The next day, Wednesday, I graded a few papers during the day– about six. Same for Thursday during the day, but Thursday night, I graded about ten more.
Of course, the weekend was my major opportunity to hit is hard, which I did Saturday and Sunday to the tune of perhaps another 25 papers.
All of this effort meant that I began the week prior to Thanksgiving break with about 38 papers to go. I knew realistically that I would not finish grading all before Thanksgiving, and I told my students so because they were asking about the grades (with the first one to ask the day after I collected the 107 papers), and Continue reading: The Teacher Life: Grading Papers Over Holiday Break | deutsch29