Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Value of Experience | lacetothetop

The Value of Experience | lacetothetop:

The Value of Experience



How do you quantify an experience? Some things cannot be measured with any degree of accuracy and that is difficult for people who equate “quantify” and “verify” to understand.
I remember a nurse coming into my room after the birth of my daughter with a chart that depicted stick-figure faces that progressed from happy to severely pained. The faces were numbered 1-10.  I was asked to point to the face that best represented my level of discomfort. Pain relief was offered when I indicated my pain was at a “7” face.
I laughed every time I was given this task because of how ridiculous it felt. My 7 could be someone else’s 10—someone else’s 4. My own 7 could be my own 4 had I been asked when I was less exhausted. Experience rooted in personal perspective and emotion cannot be assigned a number and then compared to others. The human experience cannot be normed.  The most recent teacher evaluation system is much like the hospital’s pain-face chart. It is attempting to quantify an experience.
I know my daughter’s teacher is highly effective because my daughter comes home happy. She made friends and when she didn’t get along with someone, she learned how to handle those emotions. She asks questions about the world around her because a curiosity has been sparked. Her teacher did not simply deliver curriculum to the class.  She shared 10 months of her life with them.  She instilled empathy and trust. She turned the apprehension of The Value of Experience | lacetothetop: