Charles M. Blow on "Barack the Bear"
In this op ed for tomorrow's New York Times the columnist decides to build upon the President's recent self references, which he notes in case the readers missed them: During a walk a few weeks ago from the White House to the Interior Department, the president proclaimed, “The bear is loose.” At a Minneapolis town hall last week, Obama said: “With Secret Service, I always tease them, I’m like a ca



even as I acknowledge that it comes from a place of sadness  
the sadness is because of the promise of a dream that has never been fully achieved
Coy Barefoot runs a radio program in Charlottesville, on which I have been a periodic guest:  I got to know Coy when he was on staff at the Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership at the University of Virginia and I was in the 2008 cohort of their flagship program, the political leaders program.
On August 28 of last year I was his guest because 50 years earlier I had attended the March on Washington.  
This link will take you to the just under 13 minutes of that radio appearance.  Why I am proud of it is my ability to put things into a larger context than most people applied either to the March then, King's speech, or what it means for us today.
13 minutes is not so long.
Perhaps you might find it of some use.
Peace.

What the battle over birth control is really about
reposting another older piece I believe is very relevant, especially in light of the Hobby Lobby decision.  This is from February 2012 can be seen clearly in a piece at Alternet by trained futurist and good friend Sara Robinson.  It is titled Why Patriarchal Men Are Utterly Petrified of Birth Control -- And Why We'll Still Be Fighting About it 100 Years From Now, and it's subtitle makes the thrust
Worth saying again: I'm from the government and I'm here to help you
originally posted in April 2010, but I think still very relevant, particularly at a time when some are out trying to dismantle the government a teacher a fireman a policeman/state trooper an ambulance driver a soldier/sailor/airman/Marine/Coastguardsman an air traffic controller a public librarian a curator at the Smithsonian I have your check from Social Security Medicare Medicaid the Veterans Ad