Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Baasil Ebrahim- Music Programs in Middle Schools | Student Voice

Baasil Ebrahim- Music Programs in Middle Schools | Student Voice:


Baasil Ebrahim- Music Programs in Middle Schools

My school is extremely lucky because we have a tremendous music program for a middle school, but I understand that not all middle schools are this lucky.  We have had the good fortune of being able to have three different types of saxophones, tubas, and bass clarinets and they add a whole new dynamic to a band.  There are many reasons why schools should have a superb music program, but I am going to narrow it down to two.  These reasons are that music stimulates the brain and it’s a way to let kids have fun and express themselves.
Music has the ability to stimulate the brain.  In my school, music comes in the middle of the day just as everybody’s brains are getting tired.  Playing in band just perks me back up and gets me ready to focus.  I am turned from a wet towel to a dry towel ready to soak in more knowledge. Also, music works the brain because it requires students to think while they are playing their instruments.  Having this in a school will help students to stay productive and ready the whole day.
A key part of music is expression, when you listen to modern music, the songs are all about how the artist or