Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

School Tech Connect: This Is How I Vote

School Tech Connect: This Is How I Vote:




This Is How I Vote

So, the Sullivan HS LSC election is tomorrow. Turns out that the community candidates do indeed have digital footprints, and one of them is a known commodity here in Rogers. Here's the list, if anyone cares to advise me. I've promised my entire building to provide endorsements, so we're talking about six voters here. "The Machine," I like to call it.

As for the community candidates, two of them are very, very young and out there trying to get a foot in the door. One of them is still in school, and although he has good intentions, he evidently thought it wise to work for the Chico campaign, so he's out. 

The other young person is aide, evidently, to Luis Gutierrez, whom I rather admire even though he endorsed Chico over Miguel del Valle, an endorsement that stank to high heaven.  This young candidate talks about restorative justice and bothered to build a Google site. I like him, but I'm not entirely certain how reformy Gutierrez is or isn't, and I always worry about young people and how susceptible to Kool-Aide they are. 

One community candidate has no digital footprint that I can find. 

One of these candidates has less of a digital footprint but an impressive education. Chicago being a small town, I know someone who knows him, and he gets rave reviews as a mensch. Which goes a long way with me. 

The incumbent has an advantage here beyond already showing that he's willing to work hard:  He's been critical of Alderman Joe Moore, whom I used to love but have come to not love. On the other hand, there's this:


I hope to talk to the incumbent tomorrow, because if this was him, he's out!

Seriously, all of these candidates seem like they're in it for the school and the community, and nobody seems to have an agenda against the school, teachers, or the kids. Although Rahm Emanuel does, and I want to hear more before I tell five people who they should vote for.