Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 3, 2012

A Letter to State Senator Rodney Tom Regarding Charter Schools | Seattle Education

A Letter to State Senator Rodney Tom Regarding Charter Schools | Seattle Education:

A Letter to State Senator Rodney Tom Regarding Charter Schools

Washington State Senator Rodney Tom was the sponsor of the Senate charter school bill. Representative Pettigrew was the sponsor of the companion House charter school bill. Senator Tom is also on the Senate education committee.

Dear Senator Tom,

I just read your response to (name withheld) inquiry about looking into the costs of charter schools, and even though I do not live in your district, I am a constituent of Eric Pettigrew, so I feel I need to communicate with you just as I have with him on this issue.

You and Representative Pettigrew keep making the argument that “we have to do something” to help struggling students. I agree, but I don’t agree that letting charters get a foothold in Washington state is the something that