Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 3, 2012

Joaquin’s Dilemma by Pedro Noguera - ParentAdvocates.org

Parent Advocates - ParentAdvocates.org:

Joaquin’s Dilemma by Pedro Noguera
When I am asked to speak or write about the relationship between racial identity and academic performance, I often tell the story of my eldest son, Joaquin. Joaquin did extremely well throughout most of his early schooling. He was an excellent athlete (participating in soccer, basketball, and wrestling), played piano and percussion, and did very well in his classes. My wife and I never heard any complaints about him. In fact, we heard nothing but praise about his behavior from teachers, who referred to him as “courteous,” “respectful,” and “a leader among his peers.” Then suddenly, in the tenth grade, Joaquin’s grades took a nosedive. He failed math and science, and for the first time he started getting into trouble at school. At home he was often angry and irritable for no particular reason.

“Joaquin’s Dilemma”

Understanding the link between racial identity
and school-related behaviors

by Pedro Antonio Noguera
Cambridge, Massachusetts
LINK

When I am asked to speak or write about the relationship between racial identity and academic performance, I often tell the story of my eldest son, Joaquin. Joaquin