Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

An Urban Teacher's Education: Why I'm Marching in DC This Weekend #SOSMarch

An Urban Teacher's Education: Why I'm Marching in DC This Weekend

Why I'm Marching in DC This Weekend

As I wait in the airport for my flight to Washington, it strikes me that it might be worth taking the time to flesh out some of the reasons I decided to blow nearly $600 on a weekend in DC.

At first I thought I would create a list, but then I realized that no matter how many different points I came up with, they essentially all boiled down to one reason.

Public education is worth fighting for.

Few people seem understand the importance of public education. Most people would agree that education is important, but public education almost has a negative connotation for some. Public education means public employees, government involvement, and bureaucracy. For many, that means inefficiency, waste, abuse, and mediocre standards for students. But it is also a test of our ability to act responsibly toward the needs of our