Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 15, 2020

RIP, Mr. Harold Scipio – radical eyes for equity

RIP, Mr. Harold Scipio – radical eyes for equity

RIP, Mr. Harold Scipio


I am 59 and am deeply saddened by his passing because he remains a powerful influence on my teaching, many decades after I sat in his classroom and then later taught with him at the same high school I attended.
In an open letter to my students in 2014, I wrote about Mr. Scipio:
Harold Scipio taught me high school chemistry and physics. He was a tall black man, very measured and formal. It is because of Mr. Scipio, I think ultimately along with Lynn Harrill, that I found my way to teaching after thinking I was going to major in physics (that was because of Mr. Scipio, but it was also because I was young and mostly misreading myself and the world).
Mr. Scipio practiced two behaviors that were totally unlike any other teacher I ever had. First, he referred to all of us as Mr. or Miss and our last names, and he explained to us that since we had to call him Mr. Scipio, he should certainly return the courtesy.
In the last days of my senior year at the National Honor Society banquet (Mr. Scipio was a faculty sponsor), as we were cleaning up afterward, he called me Paul, smiled widely, and told me to call him Harold because I was graduating and an adult.
And throughout my junior and seniors years, each time Mr. Scipio CONTINUE READING: RIP, Mr. Harold Scipio – radical eyes for equity