Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 10, 2016

My New Year's Resolve | The Jose Vilson

My New Year's Resolve | The Jose Vilson:

My New Year’s Resolve

Jose Vilson, US Department of Education
I’m supposed to tell you that I want to lose weight. I’m rounder than ever, so that’s a lofty goal.
But that’s no fun, and I’d rather not spend your time talking about dietary supplements and instead tell you about my visit to the US Department of Education, my second trip to Washington D.C. in as many months. This time, I got the chance to speak to Acting Secretary of Education John King, known primarily as former New York Commissioner of Education, his legacy tarnished by the mass opt-out movement across New York State. I had never met him until he got to D.C., so my only impression of him (mainly from articles, blogs, and memes) was that of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s puppet, placating to the hedge fund managers and charter school CEO’s wills and whims.
Since moving to D.C., he’s gotten a chance to hear me speak to him three times, and in two of those My New Year's Resolve | The Jose Vilson: