Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Digital Tools As The Gateway Drug To Real Pedagogy? - The Jose Vilson

Digital Tools As The Gateway Drug To Real Pedagogy? - The Jose Vilson:



Digital Tools As The Gateway Drug To Real Pedagogy?

by JOSE VILSON on JULY 3, 2014
in JOSE

On Sunday, I spent some time with the good folks at SMART Technologies (yeah, I can’t believe I’m saying that either, but more on that later) for the annual ISTE conference, a mega-large education conference hosted this year in Atlanta, GA. SMART Technologies asked me to give some words of wisdom to their partners around student collaboration, one of my personal passions. They neither asked me to restructure my remarks nor ignore social justice issues, which if folks invite me somewhere, they should know that’s also where my heart is.
At some point, I got the chance to go to exhibit hall, and I should have taken a motion sickness pill. The dizzying array of tech tools and labels made my eyes cross. As I walked quickly through the halls, dodging salespeople left and right, I stopped every so often when I heard a company give a presentation about their particular product.
It got me thinking, as I always do, whether educators have made any real progress when it comes to thinking about pedagogy in the 21st century. Is it really the tool that’s the driver or the teacher? If, for a second, districts think that a product ought to be the
- See more at: http://thejosevilson.com/digital-tools-as-the-gateway-drug-to-real-pedagogy/#sthash.M990x6vE.dpuf